A naturopathy is a form of healthcare that combines modern treatment with traditional methods. It includes alternative, natural therapies to modern medicine.
Naturopathy focuses on:
- the body’s capacity to heal itself
- preventing health problems
- a personal responsibility to optimize health
Advanced naturopathic clinic Calgary plans focus on education and prevention. They often emphasize diet, exercise, and stress management.
According to Dr. Dhaliwal, Naturopathy uses a series of principles and beliefs to create individual treatment plans.
These principles and beliefs are:
- Self-healing: Identifying and removing obstacles to recovery allows for natural healing.
- Underlying symptoms: Rather than stopping symptoms, a naturopathic doctor can resolve underlying physical or mental issues by treating the body, mind, and spirit.
- Harmless treatment: Treatment plans should not negatively have harmful side effects or negative control of symptoms.
- Holistic treatment: A naturopathic doctor must recognize individuality to effectively treat all aspects of a person’s health.
- Education in treatment: Naturopathic doctors teach self-care to help empower people against ill health.
- Prevention: It is good to remove toxic substances from a lifestyle to prevent problems.
Therapies may include acupuncture, herbal medicine, and homeopathy.
Naturopathic doctors design medical care plans to suit individual needs and health conditions. This means the treatment plans can vary, but they all follow similar principles.
Most treatments include food and nutrition. A naturopathic doctor will customize recommendations for the individual.
Naturopathic treatments are usually not a person’s first source of healthcare. People often seek naturopathic remedies when traditional or other complementary treatments are ineffective.
A review of studies found that methods that use naturopathy may be effective in:
- cardiovascular disease
- musculoskeletal pain
- type 2 diabetes
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- some other chronic conditions
An older review found evidence that the devil’s claw, white willow bark, and cayenne herbal medicines can alleviate pain more effectively than placebo. However, the authors acknowledge that the reporting quality of the studies in the review was poor.
There is anecdotal evidence suggesting naturopathic treatments such as acupuncture can cure chronic disorders, but this is not well supported scientifically.
Later, a review found that naturopathic treatments helped control problems that follow operations. For example, acupuncture and acupressure can reduce symptoms of vomiting and nausea. Aromatherapy and music may also reduce pain, stress, and anxiety, and the advanced naturopathic clinic Calgary follows all the beneficial methods.
Naturopaths work on a more personal level, spending more time covering individual needs. They create treatment plans that consider all aspects of a person, says Dr. Dhaliwal.
Naturopathy can be useful alongside modern medicine, and many say these methods allow the body to activate self-healing mechanisms.
Naturopathic healthcare can also be a cheaper alternative to conventional healthcare.
Naturopathy blends traditional medicine with conventional healthcare to work with the body on a natural level. A doctor may use naturopathic methods to support modern treatments and surgeries.
Naturopathy is a controversial field, as studies into it have not shown it to be consistently effective.
It is sensible for people to talk to a doctor before changing to or adding naturopathic treatments, as some therapies may interact with existing treatments.