A brain supplement is meant to improve brain functioning and enhance brain activity. Furthermore, it can help improve memory and cognitive functioning. Although it is usually taken by people in their 50s or older, younger people are now expressing interest in brain supplements.
The market is flooded with so many brain supplements, hence, the most effective brain supplement will vary from person to person.
Types of Brain Supplements
Following is a list of the most popular brain supplements:
- B Vitamins – B6, B9, B12, and other B vitamins play an essential role in brain health. Taking them can turn out to be a good idea if you’re low on them.
- Caffeine – Consuming coffee might increase mental sharpness. Although caffeine powders and pills are available, they aren’t good to use due to the looming risk of overdosing.
- L-theanine – This brain supplement is a naturally occurring amino acid. Green tea is an excellent source of L-theanine (and caffeine as well).
- Vitamin E – It is an antioxidant that can fight free radicals that might damage brain cells. nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils are high in Vitamin E.
- Ginkgo Biloba – This is yet another popular brain supplement. Ginkgo Biloba is traditional Chinese medicine.
- Ginseng – It is a popular health supplement from Asia. It can boost brain health, especially when combined with ginkgo.
- Curcumin, CDP-choline, and Omega-3s are other popular brain supplements.
Should you Take a Brain Supplement?
Although there have been several studies and researches about the efficiency of brain supplements, nothing is conclusive so far. Therefore, you need to take improved memory and enhanced focus claims with a grain of salt.
Moreover, you should be careful while purchasing brain supplements as they might have contaminants like heavy metals, which can be dangerous.
Which is the Most Effective Brain Supplement?
There is no single candidate that can be labeled as the most effective brain supplement. Different brain supplements work for different people. Therefore, the definition of the most effective brain supplement varies from person to person.
What are Some Other Ways to Boost Mental (Brain) Health?
Making healthy life choices is important for staying fit and fine. Unlike brain supplements, there are several ways to actually improve brain health. These are:
- A Complete and Healthy Diet – One of the best ways to ensure that the gray matter in your brain stays active is by having a mixed meal that contains a lot of healthy oils, nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies. Also, you can add dark leafy greens to your meal plans.
- Cut on Alcohol Consumption – Several studies suggest that increased alcohol consumption can yield many brain-related issues, including forgetfulness and cognitive decline. Therefore, a great way to boost mental health is to limit alcohol consumption.
- Increased Physical Activity – Another great way to keep your brain healthy is by doing exercise regularly. This can be done by going to the gym, practicing yoga, and playing sports of your liking.
- Get Enough Sleep – Lack of quality sleep (sleep deprivation) can result in many physical and psychological issues. Therefore, prioritizing sleep can help improve brain health.
- Socialize – Maintaining cognitive function is linked to social interaction. Limit isolation and find time to get together with people you love and find fun to hang around with.
- Get Your Health Issues Treated – Chronic health issues, such as high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes, put a person at the risk of cognitive decline and mental health issues like dementia. Therefore, it is important to treat health problems asap.
Taking a brain supplement might help you improve brain health. It can yield results like improved brain functioning, enhanced memory, and increased focus.
However, it is highly recommended to consult a physician before deciding to go with the most effective brain supplement.